4 Reasons You’re Not Remembering Your Sunscreen

We are steadfastly in the middle of low temperatures and months of ordering in and sweats. The last thing I want to think about is SPF or as I like to call it Sun Protection Forgetfulness. I’ll admit I tend to skip out on the extra step of sunscreen. But this winter, I’ve confronted my excuses and discovered easy and quick ways to slather my face in it every day.  

You think you don’t need it

I know that sunscreen is pushed down on us by literally everyone – our mothers, friends, derms. But that doesn’t change the habitual forgetfulness when I’m out in the winter or inside my room during the daylight hours. If I’m not in the sun, then what exactly do I need to “screen” from? For background: there are two types of UV rays – UVA and UVB. UVA rays are linked to aging of skin cells, causing wrinkles, sunspots and other sun damage. While UVB rays are stronger and directly damage the DNA in skin cells.  

The truth is that while UVB rays are stronger in the summer, they can still cause sunburn and increase the risk of skin cancer in the colder months. Even if you are bundled up during winter activities, SPF is a must because snow and ice both reflect harmful UV rays. Although you may not be outside during the day, the windows in your car, home and office may only block UVB rays but can’t protect you against all UVA rays. So if you’re near any window, it’s best to protect your skin.

You hate the feeling

I’ll avoid anything that leaves a white sticky residue on my skin and requires washing my hands. The American Academy of Dermatology suggests a broad-spectrum SPF 30 that filters both types of UV rays. I tried a few sunscreens that purported to be sheer and finally found the Unseen Sunscreen by Supergoop! It’s as unseen and unfeel as possible. It’s not even white – quite the opposite: it’s clear, transparent, and completely invisible. And it comes in SPF 40. I slather on a small amount in the mornings as a primer and it allows for a smooth finish under my concealer. If you prefer to add sunscreen as the last step of your routine, I like their (re)setting mist - akin to my usual setting spray.

You don’t have time

One more thing to worry about before I leave the house? No thanks. I can barely remember to put on socks at the moment. To get around this (let’s be frank) laziness, I keep an extra tube of sunscreen in my bag or my car, depending on wherever I used it last. Instead of making the “sunscreen step” part of the hecticness before leaving the house, I prefer to apply it once I’m in a place where I’m not a total tornado. Usually, this is my car and other times, it’s my office desk. Wherever you feel the most calm and the least rushed, pull out your handy sunscreen and apply away. This also makes it easier and more likely that you’ll reapply every couple of hours.

You can’t see the benefits

A lot of my resistance came from the fact that I can’t actually see my sunscreen working. Unlike my dark spot treatment after a bad breakout. The key – like most things in life that really matter – is patience and faith. I didn’t notice any sudden changes. But after a couple of months of using sunscreen regularly and consistently, my skin became noticeably more even, plump and hydrated. It isn’t just about seeing the benefits but peace of mind of knowing the benefits of a protected skin barrier against all things in my environment that are harmful and damaging.

- Dana Feldman

Main image by @pom_hongseol